Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Listen to your heart????

     Don't listen to your heart! It is desperately wicked. (Jer.17:9) It will lead you into sin. There is nothing good in it!
     What I thought until I read a John Eldredge book (not sure which one it was. It's been a while since I read the book!) It dared suggest that God gives our hearts desires and we should follow them. Obviously if something goes against Scripture we shouldn't, but it doesn't mean we completely disregard out heart desires either.
     I remember going to a Bible study on Spiritual Gifts and being surprised to be told by the teacher that a lot of times what you like to do is a good indicator of your Spiritual gift. What I like to do???? I honestly remember thinking, "Wouldn't it be what I don't like and what I struggle with? Doesn't God like to give us what we don't like so in our weakness He is made strong?"
     I know Conservative Christians are constantly quoting Jer. 17:9 about the heart being desperately wicked but what about Jer. 24:7? "And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the Lord: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart"
     Our hearts can turn to Christ. He can give us a new heart with new desires. It doesn't have to stay desperately wicked and something that has to be ignored. Christ must always come first before anything, but just because He does, doesn't mean we completely ignore our heart and desires.
     I really enjoyed this blog post.On Emotions
  

No comments:

Post a Comment