Thursday, November 18, 2010

So Much More Chapter Two Part One

Page 17
The fact that God describes himself as a Father to us shows us that the position of earthly father is like an earthly reflection of God.
I was struck by this statement. Still being single, it confirmed the fact that I definitely want to marry someone who, if we have children, will love and raise them the way God fathers me. With grace, love, a servant's heart, etc. It's an important responsibility.
Our fathers are supposed to be dear, trusted confidantes and friends, but God has given them a charge to be much more than this. They are to be our knights in shining armor, our protectors, our guardians, and are even supposed to represent God to us.
I'm not exactly sure what was meant by our fathers "are even supposed to represent God to us" If the authors meant they are a picture or reflection I would agree.
By this I mean, pictures/reflections are just that, they are imperfect pictures and are not the same as the real thing.
God as our Father is just that. He is still God. Our fathers are not. Therefore our earthly fathers have limitations and guidelines in how they use their authority as our father and the way we relate to our father is not the same way we would relate to God as our father. Our fathers are also not a go between us and God.

I'll finish Chapter 2 on Monday

2 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job with this - I am really appreciating your insights. :) My first thought upon reading that Fathers represent God to us was "don't we all?" Think of the saying that we are "the only Bible some people will ever read." In that way, every person "represents" or is a picture of God and His love - and imperfect picture, as you said. :) I feel like the Botkin girls mean this in a different way than I am talking about though and I don't think I would agree with them.

    On another note, I have a friend who met them and, long story short, was not impressed by their attitudes or thoughts on just about anything. And this friend is very conservative. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement and comments :)I really appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete