Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Seeing Christ Saves and Sanctifies

"When we see Jesus for who he really is, we savor him. That is, we delight in him as true and beautiful and satisfying. That is my goal, because two things flow from such an experience of Jesus Christ: He is honored, and we are freed by joy to walk the narrow way of love. Christ is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him. And when we are satisfied in him, we are crucified to the world. In this way, seeing and savoring Jesus will multiply the mirrors of his presence in the world. As the apostle Paul said, "We all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being changed into his likeness from one degree of glory to another; for this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit" (2 Cor. 3:18 RSV) Beholding is becoming. Seeing Christ saves and sanctifies."
~From Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ By John Piper

Beholding is becoming. Seeing Christ saves and sanctifies. Something I wish I had known a long time ago. "Are you so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?" Galatians 3:3 For so long I knew Salvation was through Christ alone yet I didn't fully comprehend sanctification was too. I was always trying to live the "christian life" to please God not realizing that I am acceptable to Him right now as I am through Christ. (Eph. 1:6) and that the by looking to Jesus and Him alone will I "become a better christian" because he is the finisher of my faith. (Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith...Heb. 12:2)
May you find rest today in the acceptance God gives through Christ and Christ alone!
~Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment