Friday, July 2, 2010

The Curse of the Standard Bearers

I've been reading through the series The Curse of the Standard Bearers By Norm Wakefield found here: http://www.spiritofelijah.com/chariot/chariot1107.php Wow! I can identify with this series. I've experienced a lot of Standard Bearers in my life and unfortunately I've been one. I really encourage you to read the articles yourself for full context. Some things I found helpful from Part 1:

There is a subtle, yet significant difference between someone living for Jesus and Jesus living in them.

The true image of Jesus wasn't a life focused on standards, but a life focused on a relationship with His Father in heaven.

They (image bearers) don't think the Christian life is "living for Jesus", but instead it is "Jesus living in them." Gal. 2:20

To them (standard bearers) commitment to standards is the expression of their love for Jesus. However, they are not unlike the Pharisees in Jesus' day who viewed themselves as the "separated ones". In their zeal to be distinct in a complex, godless Greek culture, they established oral traditions (standards) and considered them not only equal to the written Law, but more important. Their judgement of others and lack of love, forgiveness, and grace was condemned by Jesus repeatedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment